Tuesday, December 9, 2008

tomato soup day !




So today I made a home made tomato soup ! I got the basics down from a website but them modded it up a lot with my own favors ! I'm telling you this is the best of a snow in day !

Here's the basic recipe-

-1-3 cans of whole tomatoes
-1 big yellow onion, diced
-4-5 cloves of garlic, diced
-olive oil
-salt & pepper
-pesto
-milk (whole is best)
-a table spoon of honey
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- dash of basil, garlic, tomato spice ( mrs. dash makes this )


Dice the onion and garlic and saute it in olive oil. Then after 10 minutes, add the canned tomatoes, sugar, spices, pesto and cover with water if needed, and bring to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer, cover, and keep it on low heat for about 20-45 minutes. Puree it with a stick blender (or throw it in the blender) and add enough milk to make it a nice light red color, probably about 1 cup or so. Season with a little honey and stir that right in there.

I make this in big batches and freeze it for a latter date ! I also like to add some parmesan cheese on top , it gets all melty and good !

To make the bread, just get a hard bread and slice it. I like to had garlic salt and Parmesan cheese to it before baking it. Bake in the over for about 10-15 at 300 degrees, or until toasted.

No comments: